Posts Tagged ‘Carl Greaves’

Josh Wale

FOR Josh Wale, the pain of underperforming on his biggest night as a professional was perhaps worse than the savage cuts which forced his televised fight against Kid Galahad to be stopped.

The 24-year-old showed enormous guts against the highly-touted Sheffield fighter, ploughing forward in their May super-bantamweight clash despite his opponent’s fast hands and punishing angles of attack.

Wale returns to the ring at Barnsley Metrodome on September 21 against Terry Broadbent for the vacant central area bantamweight title, aiming to build up once again to another high-profile contest.
(more…)

Advertisements

TOMMY Coyle insists he will out-think Kieran Farrell in the battle of Britain’s rising unbeaten lightweights.

The pair will clash for the English title later this year, with the fight out to purse bids.

Their duel will be a fascinating battle of prospects, with Hull’s Coyle (13-0) confident he will out-think the Heywood man, who shares the same fighting record.
(more…)

Amir Unsworth

JAMIE Spence has pulled out of his Midlands Area lightweight title challenge against Amir Unsworth because of a cold.

The Northamptonshire-based boxer was set to face Unsworth in Sleaford on Saturday night.

Now, with just four bouts remaining on the bill, promoter Carl greaves has been forced to cancel the show.

“I have had no choice,” said Greaves.

“It’s the first time I have pulled a show in 45 attempts and it hurts.

“I feel for the boxers more than anything.”

Adam Kettleborough has tipped stable-mate Shane McPhilbin to regain his British crusierweight crown with aplomb next month.

McPhilbin goes toe to toe with former world champion Enzo Maccarinelli in Wolverhampton on June 22 – just three months after losing his title to the same opponent under controversial circumstances.

McPhilbin was on the brink of victory after crashing Maccarinelli to the canvas in the first before the bell to signal the end of the round was sounded 42 seconds early.

But now, McPhilbin is ready for revenge according to fellow Carl Greaves fighter Kettleborough.

“I have a strong feeling Shane is going to win it,” said the 26-year-old. “He hits really hard and trust me, Enzo knows that all too well now.

“I think Shane will go for it early and beat him early. As for Enzo I think he will try and box at distance and keep away from Shane’s power. But I think that will play into Shane’s hands.

“Enzo is a good fighter but he just doesn’t have a chin. Shane knows that and he will make the most of it.”

Kettleborough is himself training  hard in preparation for his second professional fight in Sleaford on Saturday, May 19.

The light-welterweight was made to work hard for a debut win against Jatinder Johal in Newark last month but insists he learned more than he could ever have hoped for.

Now, Kettleborough will do battle with Ben Kneller on the undercard to Amir Unsworth’s International Masters title defence against Jamie Spence.

Kneller, with a record of one win and one defeat, is somewhat an unknow quantity but Newark-based Kettleborough is expecting another tough contest.

“I’m sure it will be a tough fight,” he added. “My last fight was really tough and quite close in the end. I was nervous and excited at the same time.

“I struggled to keep calm – which you have to do in boxing. I was in my hometown and the atmosphere was incredible. But the important thing is I got the win and now I move on.

“I hope this fight is a bit easier!”

Kettleborough, who ventured into professional boxing following an undefeated amateur and white collar boxing background, has increased his workload in the gym.

“Training is going good. I have been working a fair bit with Amir Unsworth and his work-rate is phenomenal.

“If I can work half as hard as him I’ll be doing pretty good.

“I don’t want to worry about my opponents. My aim is just to concentrate on myself and prepare for fights the best I can.

“I’m looking forward to this next fight and I’m confident I can get the win I want.”

A buoyant Ryan Clark believes winning his first title has handed him a new lease of life.

This time last year the 22-year-old super-middleweight was simply going through the motions.

Clark was clocking up the miles, fighting every fortnight, and racking up the figures in his losses column.

Suddenly, the Lincolnshire man is a fighter transformed.

An impressive fightback to claim the International Masters belt against Jonjo Finigan, a man with a far superior record to Clark, in Derby last month has fired the latter into the top 20 in Britain.

After being dropped in the first, Clark stormed back in impressive fashion to floor Finigan himself before stopping him in the eighth.

Now, due to bad-mouthing between the pair, it is expected they will do it all again in June for the vacant midlands area title.

“I’ll fight him again no problem and this time I’ll shut him up once and for all,” said Clark who broke the record for most professional fights in a calendar year in 2011 (27).

“This time I will knock him out even quicker. I feel like this is the start for me now and things have changed.”

Despite his young age, Clark has sprinted to 60 fights – winning three, losing 53 and drawing four.

“I sell tickets anywhere, but now I have this title I feel I can start making fights for my benefit – not other people,” said Clark, nicknamed Fearless.

“Nobody scares me. Despite my record I’ve never been beaten bad and nearly all of them are on points. But I have gained so much experience over the last few years and now I’m ready to step it up.

“This is why I had respect for Finigan. He floored me early and nobody floors Ryan Clark. But now he has been saying he should never have lost to me and that he could have carried on in that fight.

“It looks like we’re fighting again in June for the vacant area title and I can’t wait to beat him again.”

The Carl Greaves boxer shot from 42nd in the country to 18th following last month’s victory. Now, a confident Clark is eyeing a spot in the top 10.

“I proved to everyone what I could do if I train in my last fight,” he added. “I am a slow starter in fights and that’s why I have been on the wrong end of results.

“Now I will be having more 10 round fights and if I can get that area belt than I can go on to even bigger and better things.”Image

Kev Hooper

Lightweight Kevin Hooper stretched his perfect start to 12 following a sparkling display against Mark Bett on Friday evening.

The 28-year-old dismantled his opponent over the opening two rounds in Barnsley – forcing Bett to quit on his stool seconds before the start of the third.

Hooper told Lincboxing how he cut a frustrated figure at the end of the fight but admitted Bett’s decision saved him from being knocked out later in the contest.

“He was complaining of a hand injury which was strange because I don’t remember him hitting me if I’m honest.

“I was determined to knock him out but he took that chance away from me. Even the referee told me not to worry because Bett was ready to be knocked out in the next.

“It was easy. He was easy to hit and I missed with very few punches. At the end of the day all you can do is beat the boxer in front of you and I did that with ease.”

The International Masters champion praised his 50-strong following from Grimsby and said the atmosphere overall inspired him to an impressive performance.

“The atmosphere was really good and my supporters were brilliant as always,” continued Hooper. “There was a bit of crowd trouble at the end of the night which was a shame.

“You get that at boxing sometimes. I was a spectator at the Kell Brook and Matthew Hatton fight in Sheffield last month and there were a number of outbreaks in the arena.

“But overall the atmosphere was really good.”

Now, ‘Super’ is expected to land a British Midlands Area title shot in October – against the winner of Amir Unsworth and Jamie Spencer on May 19.

“That’s the next title I want around my waist. Then I hope to look at an English title after that. For me, it’s about climbing the ladder at a steady pace.

“Away from boxing, I’m getting married in Greece, in August. I hope to get one my fight in before then to keep me ticking over.

“I’m enjoying my boxing and I just want to keep improving.”

MICKEY Coveney is under no illusions when he becomes the second opponent of stage two in Martin Lindsay’s career next month.

The super-featherweight, 30, will step into the lion’s den when facing Northern Irishman Lindsay at the Kings Hall in Belfast on May 5.

Twenty-nine-year-old home fighter Lindsay will return to the scene of his sole loss in 19 fights, dropping the British featherweight title to John Simpson in late 2010.

Highly-rated Lindsay, now working with Matchroom Sports following a break from Frank Maloney’s promotions team, is still highly rated and returned with a six-round points victory against Pole Maurycy Gojko at London’s Troxy in March.

Now, the road back to the title will continue with a battle against West Ham’s Coveney (13-14) who is pragmatic enough to accept his night will be far from easy.

“Lindsay is a former British champion, and he has beaten whoever has been put in front of him with the exception of John Murray. I know he’s going to be decent and I don’t expect any favours,” said Coveney, with the pair’s fight on the undercard of Paul McCloskey’s bout with DeMarcus Corley, plus a middleweight Prizefighter competition.

“I’m his second fight back and maybe his management team wanted someone easier,” said Coveney.

“But I know that he’ll be taking this fight seriously. I went over to (Lindsay trainer) John Rooney’s gym in south London a couple of months ago and I’m told that Martin did everything for John to make this fight happen.

“He might come out like a lunatic and be shit hot, but it’s more likely that he’s going to box me. I don’t think he will go flat-out from the opening bell.

“I’m going to keep my hands up, my chin down and move my head. I’m under no illusions that I am going to bash him up. I’m going for a fight.

“But I’m not getting ideas above my station. This is my 28th fight, I know what I am doing. My idea is to win a few early rounds and go from there. I’m really looking forward to it.”

Following the Belfast clash, Coveney, managed by Newark-based Carl Greaves, is set for a bout against Hull’s Tommy “Boom Boom” Coyle (11-0).

“I don’t really follow boxing that much so I don’t really know a great deal about him,” admitted Coveney.

“I’ll try to stay cut-free against Lindsay and then go for the Coyle fight. I’ve heard he’s a game boy.”

Kev Hooper.

Fast improving Kevin Hooper is confident of stretching his perfect record to 12 this weekend.

The 28-year-old international masters lightweight champion goes toe to toe with Mark Bett in Barnsley on Friday – determined to continue his steady climb up the professional ladder.

Despite losing 15 of 25 bouts, Bett is expected to provide a stern test for Grimsby-based Hooper.

“I don’t know too much about him to be honest,” admitted Hooper.

“He has five wins to his name and three knockouts so he can bang a bit – that’s something I will have to be careful of.

“This is a four round fight and my promoter Carl Greaves has got me in the ring to keep my ticking over. I want to stay busy.

“I aim to keep this guy at bay, work off my jab, and win the fight. How I win the fights at this stage is not a big thing for me. I just want to keep improving and keep climbing the ladder.

“I have ambitions of fighting for an Area or English title very soon and this fight represents another step in that direction.” Last time out, Hooper proved different class to claim the vacant international masters crown by defeating durable Bulgarian Yordan Vasilev, in Grimsby.

Hooper had his opponent, who possessed a decent record of 10 victories, on the back foot for much of the 10-round contest and won every round on a points decision.

“It wasn’t my best performance wise, but I always felt in control,” added father-of-three Hooper. “My movement was too good for him but that was one of the only bits of my game I was pleased with.

“I want to improve for this fight and put on a bit of a show. If I catch Bett, I will capitalise on it.”

Hooper is looking for funding to help him realise his dream of becoming a full-time professional boxer. If you are interested, call him on 07532 380456.

Shane McPhilbin lost a highly controversial first fight to Enzo Maccarinelli.

Shane McPhilbin has promised to rip Enzo Maccarinelli’s heart out ahead of their eagerly-anticipated rematch later this year.

The bruising cruiserweight surrendered his British title to the Welshman under controversial circumstances in March and has now vowed to put the record straight.

After flooring Maccarinelli in the first, and with the former world champion reeling, the bell was rung for the end of the round 47 seconds before it should have been – arguably robbing the Nottinghamshire fighter’s of a famous victory.

Depite going down again, Maccarinelli’s superior conditioning saw him run out winner on points following a unanimous decision.

But when the two collide for a second time in Wolverhampton on June 22, McPhilbin and his growing army of fans, insists he will regain his crown.

“I want to rip his heart out,” McPhilbin told LincBoxing. “Before our last fight I was just happy with giving it my best shot. Now, I know I can win.

“I have a totally different feeling about this. What I realised in our last fight is that I can hit him with some big shots and that I can drop him.

“I nearly broke his heart last time and I aim to do it properly this time.

“I’m looking to blow him out early and get my belt back for me, trainer Carl Greaves, and all my fans.”

While doubts remain over Maccarinelli’s future in the sport, a ninth career win for McPhilbin could propel the popular boxer to much bigger things.

“I’ve just started training again and I’ll be ready,” added McPhilbin, who boasts almost a 50 per cent knock out success rate.

“I’m sure Enzo will come back stronger but so will I. I am determined to win this fight and move on to bigger and better things.

“Despite that defeat in March, the performance has done my confidence the world of good. I can’t wait to get stuck into him.”

SHANE McPhilbin says he got “ripped off” after losing his British Cruiserweight title in controversial circumstances on Friday.

The Bulwell man put challenger Enzo Maccarinelli on the canvas in the first round of their bout in Wolverhampton but the bell to mark the end of the round was rung 47 seconds too early.

Despite speculation that former world champion Maccarinelli may now retire, McPhilbin – whose record dropped to 8-3 following the defeat – is pressing for a re-match.

“I need a re-match – I deserve it. I gave Enzo a shot at my title, which I didn’t have to do,” said McPhilbin, who also floored Maccarinelli (35-5) in the third round before slipping to a wide points loss (115-111, 116-111, 115-110).

“I got ripped off. Someone cannot look at a clock properly. It’s the second time this has happened, because in the (Leon) Williams fight the round finished 21 seconds early.

“I heard a bell, then the referee said ‘box, box, box’ and I could have had Enzo again, but then the bell rang – again – and the round ended.

“I’ve backed down from no one and I deserve a re-match.”

WEST HAM boxer Mickey Coveney is set to test the unbeaten record of Michael Walsh at York Hall on April 12.

Coveney, who dropped a unanimous eight-round points decision to Frenchman Daouda Sow on the undercard of Gavin Rees’ successful European lightweight title defence in Paris on Friday, has recently switched to Carl Greaves’ management and says the change has yielded benefits.

“I’m ready to fight,” said Coveney, whose record is 13-14 and will match up against the 8-0 super-bantamweight Walsh.

“I know Michael and his brothers, Ryan and Liam, well but at the end of the day it’s business. Michael is a good fighter and I’m happy to be on the show.

“I was getting to the point in my career where I was not boxing enough and I needed to do something. It seemed that even if I won a few fights, people weren’t interested – promoters would look at me, realise that I would come to fight and not want to throw their guys in at the deep end.

“Carl has got me two fights already (Sow and Walsh) so I’m happy with that. Me and my cousin run a painting business but since the start of the year we’ve had lots of jobs cancelled – which is another reason I wanted to get more fights.”

Although Coveney conceded that Sow was the better man in their eight-round contest at Gymnase Georges Racine, missing out on points 80-73, 79-73, 79-73, he felt he finished strongly.

“He wasn’t the best guy I’ve ever boxed, but he wasn’t bad,” said Coveney. “I had a good last round and hit him with a good shot but the decision was about right, to be honest.

Carl Greaves believes his latest show will help several “up-and-coming” boxers add to their growing reputations later this month.

Lightweight Kev Hooper, 27, competes for the International Masters title against Bulgarian Yordan Vasilev on February 24, on his hometown show at Grimsby Leisure Centre which also features Lincoln heavyweight Gaz Johnson, and Hull’s light-welterweight Joel Haigh.

Greaves, who recently tasted success when Shane McPhilbin completed a stunning TKO win to capture the British cruiserweight championship from Leon Williams, said: “The programme has a lot of up-and-coming boxers looking to make their name in the sport.

“There are also a few experienced lads who have been about a bit and who can fight, so we’re hoping for a decent crowd of around 600.

“It will be really entertaining and I’m sure it will be a great show for fight fans.”

Bell time at the leisure centre is 7.30pm. Tickets are £40 ringside, £30 general admission.

Card: Kev Hooper vs Yordan Vasilev
Sammy McSpadden vs Rick Boulter
Joel Haigh vs Kristian Laight
Gary Johnson vs James Oliphant
Matthew Mallin vs Matthew Hardy
Jody Meikle vs Tony Shields